--Chandler Bing
I love Friends.
So, I went to Mexico on Saturday. Oh, I mean "fui a Mexico el sabado pasado" (I don't know how to add in the accents in blogger...) Some friends and I made the three hour drive on down to Nogales, Arizona--which, coincidentally, sits right across the border from Nogales, Mexico. We walked across the border and had a day o' shopping.
Now, shopping's not really my thing in the first place. I'm a "go in knowing what you want, maybe browse for 15 minutes" kind of girl. So hours and hours of shopping is a stretch for me. Also not my thing: big, bustling crowds of people. So, take those two things and add in a constant stream of "Hey, hey Barbie, come in my store! Almost free, only today! Just for you! It is free to look! Are you from Hollywood? What do you need? You need a Mexican boyfriend! Come back!" and you have what would be described in the world of Kristen as a very wearing day.
But! We did have a good time--it was fun watching Rachel (who is fluent in Spanish) haggle with the vendors. It was fun eating authentic Mexican food at this little restaurant we ran across--tacos con carne asada y avocado and pumpkin empanadas. Mmmmm. It was fun trying to spot new things in each of the amazingly similar shops and stands. It was nice to be in a whole different culture for a day--I love that about traveling. New experiences, new people, new places. Makes life richer.
Here's a photo I took from the road on the way back. Ignore the blurriness. I did the best I could at 75mph with no flash.

------------------------------------------
Oh and Will & Sarah, if either of you are reading this: Remember how I lost my keys that last night I was in Augusta and we thought that maybe Sophia had snagged them out of my purse and then we all spent like 15 minutes searching your house for them? Yeah. Found them today in a jacket pocket. Yep. Turned up nearly five months later in the pocket of a jacket I didn't even wear that day. Naturally.
2 comments:
i remember when we were in nogales many moons ago, some shop owner saying to dad, "hey, come in my store or i'll shoot you." he was joking (which is quite obvious now) but at the time it kind of scared me. yay paper flowers!
you have humorous friends.
lovelovexxxxxxxxxxxx
Wow, holy jealousy. I'm saving to go visit my friend in Mexico, and here you just walked across the border. Did I mention that I'm jealous? :D
Post a Comment