[looks around. slowly raises hand.]
So I've actually watched a couple movies lately! I know, right? Time for movies? What is this, some sort of magical alternate universe or something? I don't know, I did escape near-death yesterday so for all I know it could be, but I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT TRIATHLON IN THIS POST. All you readers who raised your hands are regretting it now, aren't you?
ANYway, movies!
Slumdog Millionaire - I've had this movie through Netflix since the beginning of February. Not a very good use of my subscription, I know, I know. I finally watched it the other day and it was great! Much different than I was expecting, though. For some reason I had it in my head that it was a musical. Not sure why... maybe I heard someone say that it had great music (which it does) and made the leap. Regardless, I thought it was really well done. And I loved the touches of color symbolism throughout - beautifully done.
How To Train Your Dragon - I saw this at a real, live, pay-$10-to-see-a-movie theater. Only it was free. I was finally able to use a couple movie coupons that I got for my birthday last year. They were for one of the smaller theater chains that, while it's not that far from my house, is just not as close as the one that is virtually next door. So a friend and I checked out some kiddie movie fun. It was really cute! There were definitely some laugh-out-loud moments, and the voice cast was pretty spot on.
The Hurt Locker - Holy crap. What an intense, AWESOME movie. I don't think I blinked for two hours. My dad and I saw this over the weekend and both really enjoyed it. The movie focuses on the last month or so of service of a bomb-disposal squad in Iraq - it's a super gritty, realistic (I think) look into the kind of physical and psychological beating US soldiers go through over there, and how they handle it (or don't).
And that is my eclectic mix of movies from the last couple weeks. I also just saw that they are looking into making a film version - possibly a trilogy - of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, which I LOVED. I have some reservations: 1) I don't know if Ron Howard, who is rumored to be the director, can pull off such a dark and complex storyline. 2) I don't know how in the world they are going to combine seven hefty books into only three movies. Harry Potter got a movie per book - why not Roland the Gunslinger? But I'll definitely be watching either way - I hope they do it justice.
Happy May!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
glad you find time to squeeze in some fun! (not that, er, 50 mile bike rides and ... weightlifting european cars [wait what do you do again?] aren't fun activities).
after spewing 50+ pages of "finals" next week, imma watch a movie, too. or drink whisky. or maybe both. at the *same* time. come over! lovelove.
Post a Comment