Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Benihana Baby Shower

"Wait for the onion. Trust me." --Andy Bernard

Two weekends ago, I flew to Omaha for a baby shower that was being thrown for my sister-in-law and brother and little niece-to-be. It was a pretty fun weekend, not only because of the baby shower, but it was also my sister-in-law's 30th birthday. Her parents took us all out to a Japanese steak house (not Benihana's, incidentally) to celebrate.

The baby shower was the best kind of baby shower - no little games (not my thing), just lots of good food and fun people and cute baby presents. Along with a boatload of other stuff, she got a blanket and sheet set and oh-so-cute little sundress from her Auntie Kristen and her Auntie HTD sent her two great books and a onesie that states "Party at my crib. 2 a.m."

The rest of the weekend involved a lot of hanging out with my family, which was great. My brother got to show off his ever-expanding DVD collection and his new Wii (turns out I am very good at Wii Tennis. I thought about going pro, but I'm going to keep my amateur status so I can be eligible for the Wiilympics.) Sis-in-law wanted me to give my artistic skills a whirl on her big, convex-canvas of a pregnant belly - she had stocked up on face paint and broke out the craft brushes just for the occasion. I'll be honest: I was not expecting that. But I am nothing if not adaptable, so Saturday evening found me with paper plate palette in hand painting her stomach into a ladybug. It was pretty fun. Little niece o' mine must be ticklish because she kept kicking a spot to the right of Nichole's belly button when I would paint over it.

A month and a half to go before I get to meet the little one... :)

No comments: