I tried a spin class for the first time tonight and Ho. Lee. Crap. That class is INSANE. Insane in a good, I Just Left A Pool Of Sweat On The Floor, kind of way. It has been six months since I've done any sort of cycling and, as was starkly confirmed this evening, running on flat surfaces doesn't do squat for your quads. Five minutes into the hour-long class, as the super-intense size 0 instructor shouted commands across the darkened room over the pounding dance beats, I knew I was in for a hell of a ride.
Any sort of seated spinning was no problem. I could "sprint" to my marathon-conditioned-heart's content. But then the she-dev...instructor started hollering out things like "Up! Down! Up! Down! CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB COME ONNNNNNNN!" And in the midst of all this, she would call out different resistance levels to set the bike to, which ranged from 1 (why are you even here?) to 10 (can't even turn the pedals if I jump on them). She never called out anything lower than a 3.
As we "climbed a hill" (GO GO GO! EIGHT! COME ON! IF YOUR HEART'S NOT POUNDING YOU'RE NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH!), with the sweat literally pouring off my face and my quads screaming below me, all I could think was: why haven't I done this before!?
3 comments:
Oh Kristen. I love you dearly, but you're crazy. Good crazy, but crazy just the same.
In my opinion, Hell is full of people strapped to their bikes in spinning class. The (always and not good kind of) crazy instructors, biking, and techno music? I mean, really... it's just not right. :)
Awesome. I think I will try that. Never. I think I will try that never.
wv: zootly (She was cycling zootly. You can define it yourself.)
Went to spin a couple of times. The excellent definition I began to get in my calves was not enough of an incentive to continue with that level of hurtitude.
Good on you though! You're a stronger woman than I. :)
Post a Comment