Monday, October 02, 2006

Ode To My Little Green iPod

How do I love thee? A lot. *snap snap* (bongo rhythm fades into poetic silence)

To keep myself from being driven (more) insane by the incessant humming of 15 computers within 15 feet of my desk at work, I listen to my outdated but still treasured little green iPod mini. I put it on shuffle and it plays random songs all the livelong day.

I've noticed, however, that instead of playing a purely random sampling of the approximately 800 songs in the music library, my little green iPod has moods. It might even be schizophrenic, you guys. I just don't know. Each day it will pick a couple artists or albums and play a disproportionate sampling of those songs, mixed in with the expectedly random selections from the rest of the music library. And it's always incongruous pairings. One day it played a lot of Eisley and Cake. The next day it favored Muse and Jack Johnson with a little Chevelle love on the side. Today's featured bands were Radiohead and Nickel Creek.

I wonder if my moods affect the little green iPod or if the little green iPod influences me. Hmmm.

5 comments:

patrick | steed said...

a. you took that last line (and modified it) from High Fidelity.

2. aron ralston is an idiot.

lastly. yay cake, radiohead, nickelcreek, eisley, and jack johnson, and a little "that's pretty good" to muse.

chevelle: meh. used to love them, but they turned their back on me.

i'm out.

Hae said...

you know you can set your ipod's random setting to: select songs more randomly or less randomly. but of course themed days are fun. one day my ipod was on an AFI and James Taylor kick. I was feeling rather bipolar that day. peace and love. xxxx

Rodger Otero said...

my mp3 player is the same way. mine loves me. it almost always plays exactly what i want when i hit random. we're like soul mates or something.

patrick | steed said...

you and kristen? or you and your ipod? i'm confused rodger.

Kristen said...

p- a. you think so, huh?
2. makes for a helluva story, though. Most idiotic things do.
lastly. Yes I know. And was the Chevelle back-turning incident literal or metaphorical? Were you spurned by angry, angry musicians?

h- I hate so much about the things you choose to be. (that's from The Office - it should be said slowly and with much venom. I'm only kidding though.) Why can't you just let me think my iPod is magical? Why must you take that away from me? ~sigh~ I love you anyway...

r- SEE HALEY! mp3 players CAN be magical! Thank you, Rodger, for helping bring the truth to my sister. Unless you have some sort of newfangled mp3 player that runs off of brain waves...that would shoot a big giant hole in my "magical music player" theory...

p2- Context clues, Patrick. Context clues.