Sunday, April 05, 2009

What Kind Of Week Has It Been

It's been busy, you guys.

But the good kind of busy, for the most part. Lots of firsts and fun things to do and challenges and whatnot. And, since I'm very nearly falling asleep at my computer at 9:30pm, I'm going to go with the theme of:

Snapshots and snippets! (click on the photos to make them larger)

Tuesday: William Fitzsimmons
Since htd was out of town and my phx friends aren't so much with the sad, sad music, I went to this concert by myself. And you know what? I had a GREAT time. Rosi Golan was terrific with her clear, bell-like voice and unassuming stage presence. And William Fitzsimmons was just fantastic. His music is so sad and melancholy, but there's this note of hope that shines through on a lot of his songs. And he has this surprisingly funny and relaxed stage presence that I wasn't expecting at all.

Thursday: Splash N Dash
This event involved a 750m swim, followed by a 4k run. They hold these things pretty much every Thursday for a few months to give local multisport athletes a chance to practice their open water swimming and transition techniques. This was my first open water swim. Yikes. But! I accomplished my goal and was NOT the last one out of the water. And I passed a couple people on the run. It actually ended up being a lot more fun than I was expecting. Who knew??

Saturday: El Tour de Phoenix
The Tour is an annual race that takes place in Mesa and benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The 26-mile race took place along almost the exact same challenging route that my TNT group rode a couple weeks ago. That first trip up the mountain, I had to stop three times and rest for a minute just so I could continue on up. This time I didn't stop at all. Woo! It's nice to see that my training is doing its thing. Also, I came in 59th out of 170 entrants. Being a brand new cyclist, I'm pretty proud of that. :)

Sunday: Tucson
Virginia, a friend from my Georgia days, is currently in Tucson for an orthodontics conference. So htd and I drove on down to spend some time with her and her friend Stephanie. We visited the San Xavier mission and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, drove through downtown, and spent some time by the hotel pool drinking slushies and chatting it up. So much fun! And now I can tell you all kinds of facts about Gila Monsters. I know.

Now: sleep.

5 comments:

Thister said...

How eventful! I am excited to see you pursuing your goals for the triathlon! It is inspiring to me, too, because now I want to try to complete one in the near future!

Bree said...

I see you're watching Vicky Christina Barcelona...what did you think of it?

Kristen said...

T - that's awesome! Let me know which one you choose. :)

B - well...erm... I actually haven't watched it quite yet - it's in the plans for tomorrow night. We rented two movies and watched the other one first and I really didn't want to put up that I was currently watching Twilight, so... XD

Kristen said...

Ok, I've officially watched it. I liked it. I found Vicky really annoying and thought the Penelope Cruz character was fantastic. What did you think of it?

patrick | steed said...

you are too fun. i'm jealous.